The OBC Cell of Government College Malerkotla plays an important role in ensuring the welfare and empowerment of students belonging to the Other Backward Classes (OBC) category. Given below are the functions of the OBC Cell, elucidated point by point:
1. Admission Assistance: The OBC Cell provides guidance and assistance to OBC students during the admission process. It helps in clarifying queries related to eligibility criteria, reservation policies and necessary documents. This ensures that OBC students have a smooth and hassle-free admission experience.
2. Scholarships and Financial Aid: The cell actively works towards identifying and disseminating information about scholarships, grants and financial aid programs specifically designed for OBC students. It assists in the application process and provides necessary documentation support, enabling deserving students to avail themselves of these opportunities.
3. Counseling and Mentoring: Recognizing the importance of emotional and academic support, the OBC Cell offers counseling and mentoring services. It provides guidance on career choices, personal development, and academic progress, thereby empowering OBC students to overcome challenges and achieve their full potential.
4. Awareness Programs: The cell organizes awareness programs and workshops to sensitize OBC students about various government schemes, policies, and initiatives aimed at their upliftment. These programs also create a platform for interaction and networking among OBC students, fostering a sense of community and solidarity.
5. Grievance Redressal: The OBC Cell serves as a grievance redressal mechanism for OBC students. It provides a platform for students to voice their concerns, complaints, or grievances related to discrimination, bias or any other issues faced by OBC students within the college. The cell ensures prompt and impartial resolution of these matters, ensuring a fair and inclusive environment.
6. Collaboration with Government Bodies: The OBC Cell actively collaborates with government bodies, such as the National Backward Classes Finance and Development Corporation (NBCFDC), to facilitate access to various benefits and opportunities available to OBC students. This collaboration ensures that students are aware of the resources and support systems available to them.
In summary, the OBC Cell of Government College Malerkotla plays a pivotal role in supporting and uplifting OBC students. By providing guidance, scholarships, counseling, awareness programs, grievance redressal and collaborations; the cell contributes to the holistic development and well-being of OBC students within the college community.
Senior Faculty member Dr. Mohammad Shakeel (Convener) collaborates with other three responsible members and ensures sound working of this cell.